I get back late from the gym/work a lot of the time and when you’re starving, you don’t want to stand forever cooking, right? Y’all know as well as I do sometimes it’s kinda hard to find ‘healthy’ meals that you can whip up. So that’s why my number one (easy and super tasty) go to meal is garlic, chill and courgette pasta with Parmesan (this time I added chicken as I need a little more protein in my diet… According to my macros/BF.)
The best part is you probably have most of what you need already in the fridge/cupboards or can pick it up for next to nothing!
Here’s how I make it:
Feeds: 2x (Or can be tomorrow’s dinner!)
- Brown pasta (approx 1 1/2 cups)
- Salt and Pepper (pinch to season/ taste)
- Coconut oil (or one cal spray)
- 1 fresh chilli (lazy chopped chillies/flakes will also do the trick and cut down prep time!)
- 1 garlic clove (I used lazy garlic for quickness… Bonus tip: if you live alone/are a couple it’s easier to keep than fresh garlic cloves as they start to sprout!)
- 2 whole courgettes (eventually grated)
- 2 chicken breasts with fat cut off and roughly chopped into chunks (optional)
- 1 packet of Parmesan (you can buy a block and grate it too but this way is quicker and cheaper!)
- First off, pop a pan of boiling water on for your pasta as that needs to be doing while you prep. (Don’t forgot to add a dash of salt to avoid your pasta sticking together!)
- Finely chop as much chill as you can handle (add more fresh chilli than you would flakes as the flakes are hotter) and prep your chicken breasts.
- Find a nice non stick frying pan and whack a dollop of coconut oil in the centre. As it starts to heat, add the garlic. (again, this is to taste… Best part about this meal is it’s all about exactly how you like it!)
- Now add your preferred amount of chilli and spread over the base of the frying pan. (This is to ensure you are infusing the flavour with the oil.)
5. If you are adding the chicken, best to do it now. (I tend to check the fattest piece by cutting it in half to be totally satisfied it is cooked through!) if not just jump straight to six!
6. Before adding the courgettes turn the heat down to about medium as you don’t want to overcook/brown them, you simply want to cook them through. Grate both courgettes straight into the pan and flatten to ensure they will be cooked through evenly (try and do this bit fairly quickly as you don’t want the bottom of the pile to begin to cook.)
8. Add more parmasan until the mix becomes sticky and then your pasta.
9. This is your opportunity to add any extra seasoning /parmasan you think you’d like before it leaves the pan.
I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do!